transplanting Tulip Poplar

Ski

I've transplanted a few poplars. They're pretty hardy. Just be sure the root system doesn't get cut up too bad by the shovel. The smaller it is the better they do in my experience.

huvrman

I wouldn't think it is too hard to do. I transplanted one from cuttings from my Dads place in MS to TN. But it is taking forever to grow. After 3 years has finally established itself. Started at 2 feet and is now 4. Whoop, whoop.

Boll Weevil

I've planted a few…hundred. If you can wait til they're dormant like in January or February to relo and make sure the soil/moisture site you choose is suitable for poplars. They're pretty hardy…these were bareroot and did just fine. And yeah, they are super fast growers.

1696736354048.jpeg

squackattack

Have you thought about just getting a bunch of poplar seed and broadcasting them on boundary. You would want to a decent seed bed though. After a couple years, you would be amazed at how thick it would get.

readonly

I have transplanted many over the years with great success. I transplanted one to my yard two years ago March, it was 18" then, now close to 15'. It was only 4-5' at the beginning of this growing season, so this was the breakout year.

I pick small trees in the dormant phase, drive a landscaping spade straight down several inches from the stem, rock it back in forth a couple of times, then firmly but gently bull the young tulip tree out of the ground. Then plant it like you would a bareroot pine tree....drive the spade in and make a pocket, place the tree in, then 6" or so away make a parrell pocket and push the first one closed.

Latest posts