Reelfoot

Mud Creek

Well we left out Sunday around 11:30, it was a easy drive with no traffic or issues. It was my first trip to Reelfoot although the others have hunted it several times.

Highlights:

-Boyettes Dining Room. Small but comfortable. Pretty good catfish, onion rings were great. A few guys ordered the po'boy, but at a place like that I knew the bacon cheeseburger was going to be epic. To start, the waitress informed me there was no lettuce. Ok fine, I'm hungry enough to not care. Sure enough when the po'boys came out they all had lettuce and plenty of if it LOL! I borrowed some from them and enjoyed my bacon cheeseburger! When the menu says Bacon cheeseburger, what they mean is BACON! ONION!(with some) cheeseburger, but I scarffed it down and would do it again right now lol. Food was great, I will say they needed longer straws. I wasn't sure if I was drinking my sweet tea or snorkeling in it lol.

-Blind Breakfasts(Sausage, bacon, eggs, biscuits, honey buns, and donuts.) Blind lunch was usually chips crackers or jerky.

-killing Green wings!!!
-Seeing pintails
-Saw a lot of ducks
-worked a few groups of ducks
-Not a highlight, but people in other blinds would rather shoot and kill 1 duck than let another group mow into them. I hate these people. Swing shooters, sky busters, etc. Morons.
-Blue Bank restaurant was great, I'd eat a truck load of that baked mac and cheese of theirs!
-forget the name of other place but also good!
-Not a fan of the TWRA blinds. It was brushed in good but not made for people over 5 ft tall.

All in all I had a blast. The hunting wasn't that great but we had a great time each day out so I'm not complaining.

VideoCapture_20221219-140412_resized(1).jpg
VideoCapture_20221219-140412.jpg
20221219_114717.jpg
20221219_114715.jpg
20221219_063127.jpg
20221219_063135.jpg
20221219_063137.jpg
20221219_063141.jpg
20221219_064839.jpg
20221219_092240.jpg

Attachments

• 20221219_092240.jpg
    20221219_092240.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 31

Smashdn

Which Tier 2 blind is that? We are drawn for one in January and curious if it is it.

The five foot tall comment may be tough for the guy in our group that is 6'4".

Mud Creek

Which Tier 2 blind is that? We are drawn for one in January and curious if it is it.

The five foot tall comment may be tough for the guy in our group that is 6'4".

This was at 60. Im 6'2 and another guy in my group is around 6'4. Your buddy will have to watch himself on those stupid beams. In between them isn't too bad although I still think a little more clearance would've been better. He will definitely be doing some ducking inside the blind though.

Smashdn

Our draw date is this coming week. Anybody got any advice aside from take and throw the kitchen sink at em?

We are gonna end up taking two trips out to the blind on account of one boat, multiple duck killers and lots of stuff.

Last edited:

Smashdn

I didn't take many pictures. Honestly the hunting wasn't good out of 36 for us. Friday was our best day in there but wind was in our face in that blind and birds didn't want to work.

Saturday and Sunday there was not much wind at all.

I don't know what the deal was. We had out 10-11 doz decoys (which is still probably light compared to the open water blinds), had 2 mallard machines, pulsators, ripplers and spinners. We tried loud calling, no calling, spinners on, spinners off. Different decoy configurations as well.

Nothing really worked. Had singles at first light that would rocket through. If you have 36 next weekend, make hay on those very early birds. We did have one group of teal buzz us from behind but they were gone before we knew they were there. You cannot see out the back of the blinds so if you have ducks swing around behind the work the hole it is a guessing game as to what they are doing.

Good news is you are a pretty good ways away from other blinds so their calling doesn't affect you much. There is shooting all over and that can't be helped.

I think the whole middle of the lake did progressively worse from Friday to Sunday based upon what was brought back to the dock and the amount of shooting.

I think I learned some stuff. I want to think it could be free-lanced from a boat but it would be tough. Would either take a willingness to sit out in the open water with as many decoys as you could muster or a bunch of scouting to find a spot far enough away from other blinds. In places they are tight.

Bgoodman30

Ducks are stale most everywhere in west Tn. They are decoy shy, call shy. Also starting to pair up. Most feeding at nite. They have found refuges, adapted ways to survive. Same old story every yr.

Yeah but this Jan is especially bad.. Multiple 60 degrees in January.. No Bueno

Latest posts