Question to the Turkey hunters?

Encore

Our club recently held a meeting to discuss rule changes for next year. This club is primarily a deer club, although a few of the deer hunters will turkey hunt a little, maybe 2 or 3 times in the spring.

We have sold two exclusive turkey only memberships the last couple of years for $500. We are considering selling four at $750 and not allowing deer members to turkey hunt.

Our questions:

Will the serious turkey guys pay $750 if they don't have to worry about a bunch of deer guys fumbling around the woods during turkey season?

Have any of you hunters paid that for a turkey lease?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Encore

We have no idea, that is why I am hoping to get feedback like yours. The two turkey hunters have very readily plunked down the 500 for the last few years, no questions asked. Our lease has a built in 10% increase/year and we have not adjusted for this increase to the turkey hunters.

Since the base membership is more interested in deer hunting, should the deer membership forgo our turkey hunting rights to increase club revenue and have more money for the management of the property. Ultimately giving everyone a better hunting experience.

The property is about 50 miles east of Memphis in Hardeman county. I appreciate the input!

easy45

Thats up to your members, I would never give up our turkey rights on our place, deer hunting is first but I love to turkey hunt too

Encore

easy45 said:
Thats up to your members, I would never give up our turkey rights on our place, deer hunting is first but I love to turkey hunt too

I agree it is up to the members. But the deer club members that did the turkey hunting last year are the ones that think we should consider this option.

Encore

captain hook said:
I will pay that for a good quality turkey only lease where it would be me and a couple of others I know are the only ones hunting. Let me know I can get 4 total which is about the max you would want for that amount of land.

Will do, but Knoxville is a long way from an hour east of Memphis.

baller_9

I don't think you would have any problem finding four turkey hunters for that price if it stays exclusive to those individuals. Especially with our bag limit at four birds.

I would be surprized if the other members who like to turkey hunt didn't throw a fit. If I ever had to be on a hunt club I would expect to hunt anything I wanted.

Encore

captain hook said:
Not that far for obsessive turkey hunters. I have the time, the money and just need to other to be your man.

Ok, well we will pm info once we come to a decision. Thanks.

Encore

Winchester said:
With East TN being overrun with turkeys, that way too high and way too far for me!

Certainly can understand that! We are just trying to figure out what people are willing to pay for an exclusive turkey lease, if at all.

Our deer lease members will be paying 1100 this year just to hunt deer if we go with this plan to offer the turkey exclusive lease.

MTW

if its in west tn, unless its someone hard up for a place to hunt, too many turkeys and too many people begging folks to hunt them.

in benton county they were selling 50 permits for 200 bucks each for 6000 acres of old westvaco land. the farmers around here and in carroll county love turkey hunters. my cousins hunt club is 500 bucks a year for deer and turkey.

so i guess it would depend on that area, and how easy it is to get access to private land.

Gravey

I love to turkey hunt but no way would I pay $750 to hunt just them even if it was next door. I don't want to pay that much for deer and turkey let alone turkeys only. That said, if the other club members are for it, then do it and see what happens. Good luck either way.

Boone 58

Someone will pay it if the birds are thick and the hunting great. Not everyone will but you only need 2......
And those two guys are waiting for you to offer!!

Latest posts