Food Plots Proso millet with dwarf grain sorgham?

megalomaniac

Picked up my pre-ordered bundled seed from CO Op to plant summer plots this past trip.

I ordered enough seed for 10lbs dwarf grain sorgham/milo, 10lbs pearl millet, and 25lbs Hutchinson forage beans per acre. That's my usual summer blend and it works well.

Yesterday as we unbundled the seed, I realized they put Proso millet in the order instead of Pearl millet. We were already at my farthest location with the tractors to plant (10 miles from home base), so I said screw it, drill baby drill... But I have ral concerns the proso millet isn't going to be tall enough to get sunlight as the sorgham will get 6 to 7ft tall (Pearl millet does great with sorgham, as it gets 5ft tall). Proso is MUCH shorter than Pearl.

An unintended experiment.

Any of you guys use Proso as part of a summer blend? I've planted it as a monoculture for doves before, but I need biomass for what counts... fall plots

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I have not grown it but reviewing it I think you will be fine. At 10 lbs sorghum that is relatively thin and the sorghum takes 75 to 90 days to mature. The proso is gonna be done in 60 to 70 days. It will seed back, die and produce a fall stand you will have to kill to plant in. The amount of biomass will be fine as it will be 2 crops of leafy matter rather than one of stalks. All this IMHO.
Pics please

Edited to add: it's gonna be a nitrogen addict! Feed it feed it feed it

Last edited:

megalomaniac

I have not grown it but reviewing it I think you will be fine. At 10 lbs sorghum that is relatively thin and the sorghum takes 75 to 90 days to mature. The proso is gonna be done in 60 to 70 days. It will seed back, die and produce a fall stand you will have to kill to plant in. The amount of biomass will be fine as it will be 2 crops of leafy matter rather than one of stalks. All this IMHO.
Pics please

Edited to add: it's gonna be a nitrogen addict! Feed it feed it feed it
Thanks for the insight! 10lbs of sorgham is about right in my prior blends so there is enough spacing for the beans to grow and vine up the sorgham stalks. I'll post pics after the blend gets established, just hoping the millet fills in enough to seed out and suppress weeds.

Who knows, may be a home run... or a disaster.

JCDEERMAN

I don't know much about millet, other than trying to kill it out of some of our fields we planted several years ago for doves.

Few random questions:

1) Where do you get your seed? The Co-Ops around here for most variety of seeds, there isn't a big assortment of any type to choose from. Usually, if they can get a seed, you have 1 or 2 options, rarely 3. Wish we had a big seed company close.
2) Are those beans not a bush bean, but a climbing bean? If climbing, how much are they for a 50 lb bag? Are they RR ready?

We just got done planting our summer mixes Sunday. For screening roads, we did 2 drill passes of corn and 2 drill passes of Sudan sorghum. All the fields were drilled with what we had, which turned out to be about 100 lbs soybeans and 3-5 lbs/acre of corn mixed in with it. Our dove field is stripped out with corn, sorghum, sunflowers, and brown top millet. We shall see. I do know that everything planted the weekend of May 4th had sprouted within 4 days. Will be trying to crimp everything we drilled into this coming weekend (rye, wheat, oats, crimson).

megalomaniac

I don't know much about millet, other than trying to kill it out of some of our fields we planted several years ago for doves.

Few random questions:

1) Where do you get your seed? The Co-Ops around here for most variety of seeds, there isn't a big assortment of any type to choose from. Usually, if they can get a seed, you have 1 or 2 options, rarely 3. Wish we had a big seed company close.
2) Are those beans not a bush bean, but a climbing bean? If climbing, how much are they for a 50 lb bag? Are they RR ready?

We just got done planting our summer mixes Sunday. For screening roads, we did 2 drill passes of corn and 2 drill passes of Sudan sorghum. All the fields were drilled with what we had, which turned out to be about 100 lbs soybeans and 3-5 lbs/acre of corn mixed in with it. Our dove field is stripped out with corn, sorghum, sunflowers, and brown top millet. We shall see. I do know that everything planted the weekend of May 4th had sprouted within 4 days. Will be trying to crimp everything we drilled into this coming weekend (rye, wheat, oats, crimson).
My co op agronomist can get just about anything... if I give him a month's heads up notice

I love the generic Hutchinson soybeans. They are $33 a bag, and are a forage bean which produces plant growth rather than seed pod production. They will climb the sorgham stalks, and are crazy browse pressure tolerant. They are not roundup ready.

JCDEERMAN

My co op agronomist can get just about anything... if I give him a month's heads up notice

I love the generic Hutchinson soybeans. They are $33 a bag, and are a forage bean which produces plant growth rather than seed pod production. They will climb the sorgham stalks, and are crazy browse pressure tolerant. They are not roundup ready.
Is this in MS or TN? If TN, I don't mind making a descent drive for them.

Does it produce "some" beans, with the majority in making the plant? I may try something like that in the future, especially for that price.

megalomaniac

Is this in MS or TN? If TN, I don't mind making a descent drive for them.

Does it produce "some" beans, with the majority in making the plant? I may try something like that in the future, especially for that price.
In middle TN. They produce some small seed pods, nothing like traditional soybeans. But when the deer nip them off at 4in tall, they don't die, they fork and keep growing, and growing.

I don't need seed pods for late season don't even need to feed the deer in summer (but the deer eat them) I'm just putting them in my blend to fix nitrogen and build soil. The summer plot gets bushhogged early Aug, then terminated with gly before drilling fall blend, so all the beans are gone by Sept.

BSK

This weekend I'm planting (broadcast, not drilled, and then mowing standing winter crop onto seed) 50 lbs of Hutchinson soybeans and 12 lbs of WGS sorghum per acre.

JCDEERMAN

Update on our soybeans, millet, corn and sorghum we drilled…

Attachments

• IMG_9153.jpeg
    IMG_9153.jpeg
    417 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9154.jpeg
    IMG_9154.jpeg
    657.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9141.jpeg
    IMG_9141.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9140.jpeg
    IMG_9140.jpeg
    552.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9142.jpeg
    IMG_9142.jpeg
    476.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9143.jpeg
    IMG_9143.jpeg
    462.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9152.jpeg
    IMG_9152.jpeg
    385.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9151.jpeg
    IMG_9151.jpeg
    495.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9150.jpeg
    IMG_9150.jpeg
    543.9 KB · Views: 12

megalomaniac

Update on our soybeans, millet, corn and sorghum we drilled…
You got em in perfect!

I got 5 ac sprayed and planted last Monday, but then it started raining.

Buddy sprayed the remaining 9ac Thurs, plans to plant Fri... but rain again. Have to wait for the low fields to dry out to get my last seed in the ground, hopefully Tues or Wed

JCDEERMAN

You got em in perfect!

I got 5 ac sprayed and planted last Monday, but then it started raining.

Buddy sprayed the remaining 9ac Thurs, plans to plant Fri... but rain again. Have to wait for the low fields to dry out to get my last seed in the ground, hopefully Tues or Wed
It is sloppy wet! I went down Friday in hopes to crimp all day Saturday. Too wet. A lot of our fall crops are starting to go to seed, so I'm hoping it dries out quick.

tellico4x4

Wondering about the wheat & oats that are maturing. Thinking about broadcasting buckwheat, WGF & Sudan into & mowing. Can I expect germination out of the cereal grain as well? Going to forgo spraying as we got an awesome burn down last year & very few weeds. These are all 1-2 yr old plots & could use more green mamure

BSK

Wondering about the wheat & oats that are maturing. Thinking about broadcasting buckwheat, WGF & Sudan into & mowing. Can I expect germination out of the cereal grain as well? Going to forgo spraying as we got an awesome burn down last year & very few weeds. These are all 1-2 yr old plots & could use more green mamure
I have NOT seen good fall germination from cereal grains mowed after seed maturation. However, I have seen awesome fall germination from annual clovers mowed after seed maturation.

megalomaniac

If the wheat still has some green to it, it will just start to regrow after mowing. At least that's what my wheat does after bushhogging it late April/ early May.

TBH, I'm not sure what causes wheat to terminate in the late spring/ early summer... whether it's higher temps or maturity of the plant itself.

Got everything else drilled yesterday (10 ac), save for my lowest, worst draining plot. Good chance for rain Fri, but there was already decent soil moisture in the ground from the rains last weekend

BSK

Got everything else drilled yesterday (10 ac), save for my lowest, worst draining plot. Good chance for rain Fri, but there was already decent soil moisture in the ground from the rains last weekend
We've already had 5.26" of rain this May and expecting another 2.5" by Tuesday of next week. Very wet. Glad my plots are on ridge-tops. My ridge-top roads are the muddiest I've seen in late May in many years. Actually sloppy muddy in places.

Latest posts