Food Plots Crimson clover

JCDEERMAN

@jcdeermman if you spray it now you can burn the stalk easily but its much harder to kill the roots. I like to hit hard with crossbow and roundup with diesel as a surfactant to end those but you must wet it all not just the stalk. The other option is to take a machete to it then spray it after it begins to regenerate in about 7 to 10 days.
i have a place down on the cumberland that i cant seem to get to for spraying but am about to mow it for the second time trying to buy time and prevent seeding. I really should just burn it all down in august and start again
Hmm…we are fixing to drill RR beans and some RR corn into 2 fields that have thistle. What about after drilling, going through 1-2 weeks later with the herbicide and diesel at the base of the thistle? If so, would tryclopr and gly work?

BSK

Ours were about 98% finished. Just a couple stalks still red
Good to know.

We're also checking on our wild bee traps. We've got a pretty good set of hives going now. We have three established hives that lived through the winter, and have out about 5 new traps, two of which have new colonies. We get some really great amber dark honey from these (poplar, blackberry, and sourwood blooms primarily, with a little crimson clover thrown in as well).

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Hmm…we are fixing to drill RR beans and some RR corn into 2 fields that have thistle. What about after drilling, going through 1-2 weeks later with the herbicide and diesel at the base of the thistle? If so, would tryclopr and gly work?
On review the label states that on Canada thistle it is a top kill pesticide and will require additional applications. No other thistles are mentioned.
It not gonna kill the mature root systems of plants with large carbohydrate root systems effectively but will give you a reprieve for a little while.

JCDEERMAN

Good to know.

We're also checking on our wild bee traps. We've got a pretty good set of hives going now. We have three established hives that lived through the winter, and have out about 5 new traps, two of which have new colonies. We get some really great amber dark honey from these (poplar, blackberry, and sourwood blooms primarily, with a little crimson clover thrown in as well).
I'd love to get into that. I know nothing about it. Is this something that can be managed from afar (I'm assuming so since yall don't live on your farm). If minimal maintenance, that would be awesome and something I'd like to explore some day.

JCDEERMAN

On review the label states that on Canada thistle it is a top kill pesticide and will require additional applications. No other thistles are mentioned.
It not gonna kill the mature root systems of plants with large carbohydrate root systems effectively but will give you a reprieve for a little while.
You're a wealth of knowledge - thanks! After drilling, I may go through and chop at base while everything is laid flat (no way I'm walking through 6' tall rye and 3' tall crimson). Then come back through a week later with the 2,4D , gly and diesel mixture to spot spray.

TNTreeman

Spot spraying the thistles works great but I think I missed more than I hit. Once it gets tall I don't have much luck. After I mow I try to remember locations and hit the fresh cut ones. 5C2B737F-1229-4FB9-81E8-417FF996B7A6.jpeg
4A35831A-4558-4D23-8B8B-B623E1F36184.jpeg

BSK

I'd love to get into that. I know nothing about it. Is this something that can be managed from afar (I'm assuming so since yall don't live on your farm). If minimal maintenance, that would be awesome and something I'd like to explore some day.
It's my BIL who got into it last year. Our first year and we did OK. Out of 4 hives, we got 5 gallons of honey. Half was the amber dark from our hunting property and half was very light clover honey from suburban Nashville. This year, we'll have triple the hives. Checked yesterday and we have six hives working on our hunting property. In late winter and early spring, we add food to hives, but this time a year it's just adding fresh layers to the most active hives give them room to expand.

Latest posts