Coyote call sequence

shooter250

I've had a fox pro call laying around a few years collecting dust. Decided it's finally time to get it out and try to kill a few. This is all new to me. Can anyone give me some advice on a call sequence they use with success. And how long and loud to play each call. Thanks in advance.
I use a bobcat in heat right after deer season played kind of loud to start ,then up and down.Don't know why but they come running in with a vengence.Good sound to try if you think they have heard LBGQT rabbit too much already

Speedwell-Hunter

Rabbit in distress will always work but remember fawns are available in the summer don't be afraid to switch it up.I would be more concerned with heat right now so call at daylight and evenings , last half hour of daylight
heat? They breed in spring i thought. I want to call at night. I seen a pack on my property two nights ago, 5 of them. at 0400 . Thinking of sitting at 9pm-1am nightly, and getting into calling them, your thoughts?

Speedwell-Hunter

I start with a short, loud blast of a sound. Siren, howl etc. to get their ears up. My go to calls are rabbit distress or coyote pup distress. I do it for five minutes or so and vary the volume. Then wait, if nothing shows after 10 minutes, repeat the distress or switch to different sound, and vary volume again. If they can hear it, they will come look. You can use use mating calls this time of year, also.
Clarification for us, when you say you do it for 5 minutes, you press the button and it goes for 5 minutes straight? I am confused when articles say do something for 2-3 min, is that with a short 2-3 second between calls or just non stop?

shooter250

heat? They breed in spring i thought. I want to call at night. I seen a pack on my property two nights ago, 5 of them. at 0400 . Thinking of sitting at 9pm-1am nightly, and getting into calling them, your thoughts?
No I meant it's hotter than a welldiggers ass coyotes don't like it any more than you do , cool mornings and evenings if you're going to hunt in the summer

megalomaniac

Rabbit in distress will always work but remember fawns are available in the summer don't be afraid to switch it up.I would be more concerned with heat right now so call at daylight and evenings , last half hour of daylight
Weekend before last every set with fawns in distress vocals called in does within a few seconds, hotter and madder than stink. I'm thinking that sound right now may do more harm than good when it comes to stressing out the deer herd.

MFK has some great real coyote vocals... lately done well with 12w old pup sounds and fighting sounds ('tablescraps' is a good one).

Not sure if they have wised up over the past 6 months of aggressive hunting or we wiped them out.... not seeing very much sign. Not many on trail cams, and when one show up on cam, we go out there, call him up, and remove him. Seeing a LOT more fawns this summer than years past.

Lone Hunter

Old thread but you might be careful hunting them at night. Don't think the GW would like it too much unless you know him well. That's what gets me is they want them killed ( I really wonder about this) and will not let you hunt them at night when they are most active. If you could hunt at night there would be more killed and more other animals left alive, fawns,cats,dogs, rabbits, anything else they can eat. I wish they would allow night vision and night hunting. A buddy in Georgia said that Night Vision has given him a lot more success in killing them.

Latest posts