If you have not burned

Boll Weevil

My objectives absolutely DO NOT involve clearcutting and starting over so I've always thought about how I could manage my timber stand after future thinnings…that's where I think the savanna fits nicely. This particular pic is actually longleaf but conceptually the same outcome.

1715188248642.jpeg

JCDEERMAN

My objectives absolutely DO NOT involve clearcutting and starting over so I've always thought about how I could manage my timber stand after future thinnings…that's where I think the savanna fits nicely. This particular pic is actually longleaf but conceptually the same outcome.

View attachment 226853
I'd love to have some of that. More so just to add more unique puzzle pieces to our mix.

Boll Weevil

AWESOME habitat for many species, especially quail, turkey, and deer. You can see mile upon mile of this type of habitat around Albany, GA. Because of that habitat, the Albany area is a hot spot for big deer in southern GA.
For quail and turkey I can certainly see why this might be ideal habitat but for big deer, not so much. I know SW GA produces some giants but how does pine savanna contribute to that? Surely I'm missing something but alot of it just looks like a bunch of wiregrass and broomstraw to me.

BSK

For quail and turkey I can certainly see why this might be ideal habitat but for big deer, not so much. I know SW GA produces some giants but how does pine savanna contribute to that? Surely I'm missing something but alot of it just looks like a bunch of wiregrass and broomstraw to me.
The high volume of annual forbs that are mixed in with the grasses. Those savannah areas produce 20-50 times the volume of forbs that a woodland area does.

Latest posts