Hunting apps, interesting feature

TheLBLman

I use OnX and Basemap. Both with paid subscriptions. Each offers different things I like. I did not like Huntstand at all, and canceled the subscription.
If you don't mind my asking, what is better or worse to you with OnX vs Basemap?

The property lines in my area are way off in the ONX and Spartan Forge apps
If you don't mind my asking, what is typically "way off" with what you've seen?

I'm just wondering if the lines being wrong are more a reflection of the apps themselves, or more a reflection of bad data coming from the court houses?

Lt.Dan

If you don't mind my asking, what is better or worse to you with OnX vs Basemap?

If you don't mind my asking, what is typically "way off" with what you've seen?

I'm just wondering if the lines being wrong are more a reflection of the apps themselves, or more a reflection of bad data coming from the court houses?
I started with OnX so I am more used to it. I like the wind feature od Basemap. Also Basemap had leaf of imagery but OnX is featuring it for some states. Tennessee being one of them. As for GPS they are similar but I get a better "track" when following a blood trail with OnX. Overall they are pretty similar. My brother prefers Basemap, so I keep it so we can share coordinates.

Basemap has a game where you can win stuff which is kind of cool. But it is usually locations out west which I am not familiar with. OnX has online classes that are very informative and if you sign up for them and can't sit in on the meeting you can watch them as video. You just won't be able to ask questions live.

Basemap is cheaper. OnX has a veteran discount so it's half off for me.

CATCHDAWG

I absolutely love OnX. I use it more for my backcountry fishing than I do for hunting. I can mark my put-in and take-out points and know where I'm at while moving up the stream but the topo and line distance is probably the most useful. I might only be a couple hundred yards from a trail by looking at the map but if it's a 500 ft elevation gain to get there, that is useful information!
And as has been stated multiple times when it comes to property lines, all the apps go by the county tax maps. So if you see inaccurate property lines, it's not the app that's wrong, it's the tax map at the courthouse. I'm not sure how hard that is to understand but lots of folks want to complain about the app(s) being wrong when it actually has nothing to do with it.

Flintlocksforme

I don't pay for any of them but I keep up with my stands and wind on basemap and use Spartan Forge for serious remote scouting. Only experience I had with Onx was two uninvited people hunting my land even though every tree and bush was painted purple and there were tons of signs. Apparently Onyx put them on public property in the middle of my place. They knew better but when a turkey gobbles, some people just don't have a conscience. Momma always said a hardon has no conscience either.

CATCHDAWG

I don't pay for any of them but I keep up with my stands and wind on basemap and use Spartan Forge for serious remote scouting. Only experience I had with Onx was two uninvited people hunting my land even though every tree and bush was painted purple and there were tons of signs. Apparently Onyx put them on public property in the middle of my place. They knew better but when a turkey gobbles, some people just don't have a conscience. Momma always said a hardon has no conscience either.
Once again, OnX, Huntstand, Basemap, they all go by the county tax map regardless of which app is being used when it comes to property lines.

tellico4x4

Have pretty much used onX since it came out. First was just using it out west then decided to use it at our hunting club. Every stand, plot, trail, boundaries, etc are on there. We used a big chart printer and made a 6'x3' color map, laminated it and placed it on magnetic board for checking in/out. The wind function works as good as could be expected in our hills & hollers too. The tree type layer is hit or miss but haven't seen one on any other app. Property lines are pretty good, especially when some of ours follow creeks or old fence lines. On 3500 acres we may lose a few feet on one side but probably gain it back elsewhere. For $100/yr for all states, I think it's the best out there.
Used Hunt stand prior to onX and it was okay.

Last edited:

TheLBLman

Have pretty much used onX since it came out.
Not sure what year I first started using OnX, but back then, consensus was it was the best.

A few years ago, I was invited to try BaseMap, and at that time, it has supposedly "one uped" OnX by providing more detailed imagery. Plus, I got if for the entire U.S. for about what OnX charged for just 2 states.

I'm been just using BaseMap past few years.

Sounds like overall there remains little difference between OnX & BaseMap?

Latest posts