Food Plots Fertilizer spreader question.

Jcalder

I'm new to the whole tractor spreader thing. I purchased one from my aunt last fall and have tried to use it, but I've got a lot to learn lol. My question is in the bottom of the drum is a spinner that should help bust clumps and feed things thru. When I planted the other day I noticed a lot of dust coming out of the spreader and some fodder flying around. Is that spinner grinding my seed up? I mixed wheat and oats and some of what I seen floating around looked like the outer part of the wheat seed.

JCDEERMAN

Not sure about that, as I've never mixed my seed with the fertilizer. I will say that when spreading fertilizer, it can get quite dusty.

And as a precaution, when you are done, get a hose a rinse that sucker out good on the inside and the spinner (the whole thing thoroughly). Fertilizer will eat straight through it if not cleaned......just in case you didn't know.

Jcalder

Not sure about that, as I've never mixed my seed with the fertilizer. I will say that when spreading fertilizer, it can get quite dusty.

And as a precaution, when you are done, get a hose a rinse that sucker out good on the inside and the spinner (the whole thing thoroughly). Fertilizer will eat straight through it if not cleaned......just in case you didn't know.
Just to be clear, I didn't use any fertilizer. I just mixed my seeds together

JCDEERMAN

Just to be clear, I didn't use any fertilizer. I just mixed my seeds together
HA I totally botched that then.

You will have some of the seed that is out of it's "seed shell", but that should just be marginal. I've never run into that problem. I'd check the ground and make sure it is just "marginal". I plan on doing the same this weekend with 1300 lbs of seed out of our spreader.

Jcalder

HA I totally botched that then.

You will have some of the seed that is out of it's "seed shell", but that should just be marginal. I've never run into that problem. I'd check the ground and make sure it is just "marginal". I plan on doing the same this weekend with 1300 lbs of seed out of our spreader.
Just making sure what I seen was normal. The ground looked like decent coverage. I'll know in a couple weeks when it comes up.

BSK

I've found that spin spreaders without an agitator do not spread fertilizer well. You have to have the agitator to break up clumps of fertilizer.

Omega

If it was a used spreader it could have been left over fertilizer. The old spreader I had did that for a few minutes the first time I used it, the clumps of fertilizer would fall into the bar where it would break up and come out like a puff of smoke.

RS

I'm assuming you're using a cyclone spreader. If you had the slots open enough for the seed to come out, there shouldn't be any problems. I'm sure some seed does get busted up, but not enough to worry about. The only time I have seen much "dust" when sowing seed, is when I sow coated seed like Crimson Clover.

backyardtndeer

Some dust is not unusual. Don't think it is damaging your seed. When I dump wheat seed in the hopper, I usually have a bit of dust. Same with most cereal grains.

Jcalder

If it was a used spreader it could have been left over fertilizer. The old spreader I had did that for a few minutes the first time I used it, the clumps of fertilizer would fall into the bar where it would break up and come out like a puff of smoke.
Until I used it this past weekend I couldn't tell you the last time it was used. The aunt that I got it from, her husband passed 12 years ago. So I'd guess it's sat that long. It's got rust, but not rusted out.

Thanks guys. Sounds like it went normal. Better than my spring adventure when I dumped all my seed in one half acre spot instead of the 2 plus acres I meant to plant lol.

Chief44

Was your wheat certified seed wheat or the cheaper bin run wheat? Bin run wheat is not as clean as seed wheat and can contain other seeds and hulls. Most of the time it's ok but I have seen some so full of fodder that it wouldn't feed through an atv spreader.

Jcalder

Was your wheat certified seed wheat or the cheaper bin run wheat? Bin run wheat is not as clean as seed wheat and can contain other seeds and hulls. Most of the time it's ok but I have seen some so full of fodder that it wouldn't feed through an atv spreader.
They didn't have any certified wheat when I got this. I've used both and haven't much issue, but I would have opted for certified if available.

Latest posts