Boat gas delivery system

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Ok I have a couple questions.
My buddy has a 4 stroke fuel injected Mercury 60/40 jet.
First question is, how big a deal is it if you run completely out of gas with one of those? He has "heard" it is bad if you run out of gas.
I am talking about for the motor, not the obvious problems of running out of gas.

Now, he saw a guy that had a 6 gallon tank and a 3 gallon tank.
Does anyone know how you could rig that up? Well I know how you could but looking for the best way to do it.

Is it imparitive that you have a selector switch to go from one tank to the other or can you rig it up where it will basically pull from one then both?
I would think you need a selector switch myself.

Just wondering if anyone had done something like that.

fairchaser

I've only had two strokes but why would it be any different than your mower running out of gas? I can see where laying down could cause oil or gas to get into odd places.

TNLynn

I have a mercury 60hp four stroke 2006 model that was run for years with two gas tanks. We run until it run out of gas on one tank-switch to other tank and pump up ball- start right up and keep going.

catman529

I've never heard of it being bad for any gas motor to run out of gas. Aren't you supposed to do that if they sit in storage for a while? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the 2 gas tanks. If I am going somewhere I might burn some gas, I bring a backup 5 gallon jug of gas for my motor. I just keep an eye on the gauge, and if it starts to get low, I fill it up before it ever runs out. Usually I'm not going too far to burn all the gas. Mostly just camping trips where I bring backup. I often camp on a lake with no marina.

Latest posts