16 ga choke

KPH

I just bought a new 16 ga and was wondering if they make a full choke for a Trisrare 16 ga in a full choke that will take steel shot. Thinking about turkey hunting with it using TSS. This may be a pipe dream but I haven't found anything yet. If you have any thoughts thinks.

TN Larry

Is this a Tristar instead of a Trisrare? Carlson's website has a place that you can type your gun and will show you the choke that it would use. It appears that some or most Tristars use the Benelli Mobil chokes. If so, I am sure that they make a 16 ga turkey choke for the Benelli system.

KPH

Is this a Tristar instead of a Trisrare? Carlson's website has a place that you can type your gun and will show you the choke that it would use. It appears that some or most Tristars use the Benelli Mobil chokes. If so, I am sure that they make a 16 ga turkey choke for the Benelli system.
My bad it is a Teristar and guess what Benelli doesn't have a 16 ga witch is making it harder to find something.

TN Larry

My bad it is a Teristar and guess what Benelli doesn't have a 16 ga witch is making it harder to find something.
That makes it complicated. One person that could build you a choke I am sure is Sum Toy customs. Several guys are shooting his chokes out of 20 gauges, and I've never heard a bad thing out of them. I would contact them and see what they could do for you. https://www.sumtoycustoms.com/

Last edited:

Tenntrapper

I am pretty sure you can shoot TSS through any choke. Several people are shooting it through factory full chokes.
This is confusing to me. I recently purchased a CZ shotgun. I talked to them and they said to not use steel in any choke tighter than modified. They also said, since tss is 3+ times denser than steel, the same would apply. I've seen aftermarket extra full chokes that say tss is fine. I've also used tss in fixed full chokes. CZ's explanation to me was, that the sudden restriction of the incompressible shot would cause a pressure spike that could cause catastrophic failure of firearm. I'm not sure what is the correct answer, but modified chokes give me a good pattern out to 40 yards or so, so thats what I'm using.

TN Larry

Not sure, from everything that I've read and heard there are no issues. I have some 410 #9s to shoot through an older 410 that I don't have an issue trying.

rukiddin

I don't know how true it is but I was told TSS is not steel so it wouldn't affect a full choke.

tss is harder than steel. If the choke says no steel, then it's definitely no TSS. The problem is the shot has no forgiveness going through tight constrictions. Lead is soft and will constrict.
with that said, when chokes are marked for no steel, I think the manufacturer did it with intentions of larger size steel in mind like used for waterfowl. 8's and 9's like used for turkey is a lot more forgiving in terms of being constricted through a tight choke than say 1's, 2's or 3's.

KPH

tss is harder than steel. If the choke says no steel, then it's definitely no TSS. The problem is the shot has no forgiveness going through tight constrictions. Lead is soft and will constrict.
with that said, when chokes are marked for no steel, I think the manufacturer did it with intentions of larger size steel in mind like used for waterfowl. 8's and 9's like used for turkey is a lot more forgiving in terms of being constricted through a tight choke than say 1's, 2's or 3's.
This is what I suspected but didn't know

Latest posts